Saturday, August 15, 2015

No Need to Stop Fueling the Find

https://familysearch.org/indexingevent2015?cid=lp-idx-3301

Earlier today I logged into FamilySearch Indexing and received a message that the 2015 "Fuel the Find" worldwide indexing event was over. The week-long event had ended somewhat short of its goal of having 100,000 volunteers indexing records. The good news, though, was that millions of records had been indexed, and these records will soon to be available for searching on FamilySearch, free, no subscription needed, throughout the world.

I've been involved with indexing for FamilySearch for a number of years. The first batch of records that I downloaded for transcription was a collection of school records from Victorian England. Here were lists of little girls with names like Lily, Rose, Iris, Daisy, Pansy, all being enrolled in school. I was hooked as a transcriber.

Admittedly, I transcribe sporadically. Sometimes it is for special push events like "Fuel the Find". Other times I'll transcribe for a while when I've hit a brick wall or otherwise just need a break from my ongoing research. And sometimes it is a way to pay back after I've found some unexpected information on Family Search since some volunteer some time had transcribed the data I was now finding useful.

The real news is that while "Fuel the Find" is over for this year, indexing and transcription needs are never over. There are always new records just waiting for someone to transcribe so that someone else can finally get the answer s/he is needing. It is simple to do. FamilySearch has complete information here including a short video on the indexing process and a "test drive" showing how to index an individual record.

I enjoyed Robin Foster's post, Fueling My Own Finds While Indexing. What an inspiration for all of us to be involved in the simple act of indexing, helping to fuel someone else's find, or maybe even our own.

1 comment:

  1. Mary,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2015/08/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-august-21.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete