Monday, January 7, 2013

Presenting ... The Top 100

Each new year brings a number of those "Best of ..." lists.  In my e-mail the other day I received a link to a new list, The Top 100 Genealogy Web Sites in 2013 as compiled by GenealogyInTime Magazine.  Their list is based on the Alexa traffic rankings which track the number of page views and the time spent on the site.

To no one's surprise Ancestry.com was their number one web site.  The list also included 13 other web sites that are under the Ancestry / Permira umbrella including Family Tree Maker Software, Fold3, and Genealogy.com.   As I scanned the list, I saw a number of sites I visit regularly and picked out a few new ones to check into this week.  I was especially pleased to see Arkiwerket Digitalarkivet,  the Norwegian Digital Archives, listed.  This is a site I discovered through last year's Family Tree Magazine list of top sites.  I'll be posting about what I learned there soon.

From the GenealogyInTime list, you can tell at a glance what type of information is available on a web site - records, family tree, cemetery, forum, newspapers, DNA testing, blog, articles, ethnic heritage, etc. The list also indicates if the site is free or pay as well as the primary country featured on that site.  Finally, a link to each web site is included in the list.  All pretty helpful, and definitely worth bookmarking a link to the whole list.

My research goals now include finding a number of newspaper articles I want to read in their entirety.  I'll be using their Top 100 list to visit some of the newspaper sites, do a free trial or two, and decide if I want to spend some subscription money.

You can learn more about GenealogyInTime and its free subscription here.

Now, I'm looking forward to the posting of Family Tree Magazine's list for 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment